Hindbærsnitter - Danish Pop Tarts

danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto
The first time I walked around a Danish Bakery I saw some hindbærsnitter and thought, wow! pop tarts! Their so similar I find it hard to believe they weren't the inspiration for the famous toaster treats. Hindbærsnitter are one of the classic wienerbrød you'll  find in every konditori in Denmark,
and a favourite amongst Danes

danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto hindbærsnitter
danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto hindbaersnitter
Shairez and Steffan and the "world's biggest Pop-Tart"
I had never tasted a Pop-Tart. My family was a strict "Cherrios - Shreddies" kind of family.  My mom never bought crazy American breakfast things like Pop-Tarts, or Froot Loops. I finally bought a pack, when I went back to Toronto for a visit, to try them out, but the hindbærsnitter in Denmark had spoiled me. Pop-Tarts are crap by comparison.
If you like Pop-Tarts, you'll love hindbærsnitter. Much more buttery, like shortbread, and better tasting raspberry filling.
I made a batch of hindbærsnitter for the staff at the Palais Royale. We joked that I had made the worlds largest Pop-Tart. Who knows, maybe it was.



This is one of the first Pop-Tart commercials from 1964



 If you can't make to Denmark here is a recipe so you can make  hindbærsnitter yourself


danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto hindbaersnitter


Related Pics

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
X